Today we’re exploring the path to partnership, and I’m sharing what associates need to consider to make sure all the work they are putting in will actually pay off. Although this episode is presented with large law firms in mind, the principles I discuss are general in nature and can be applied to associates in smaller firms as well. If you’re already a partner, this episode can also help you understand that the associates in your firm may not have access to all of the information that you think they do.
Things you will learn in this episode:
- How every firm is different when it comes to partnerships – and why learning the written and unwritten rules will be necessary
- Why you should know what the financial health of your firm looks like when beginning this process
- If you wait until you are up for partner to take action, you’re too late (but you’ll now have the tools for the future)!
- Why you need to be working on your Partnership Resume, and not just hitting minimum numbers when it comes to your billables
- The types of matters you worked on, as well as how lucrative your clients are to the firm, will be taken into consideration
- You may not like politics, but campaigning for support in the partnership process is key
Right-click here to download this episode.
My Latest Episodes:#27: Non-billable Purgatory
#26: Listener Q&A — How to Make Time for Self-care
#25: I Don’t Want to Talk About It…
#24: Becoming a Recognized Expert